Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Lighting A Scene Without Maya


Key light only


Key and Fill lights


Key, Fill, and Rim lights


The Setup:
This is an unused, plastic-wrapped canvas I had, placed against a blank wall, a headlamp, a small mirror, my initials cut from Balsa, and a 2-cell/D battery Maglite flashlight. I shot it using a tripod, my Nikon D60 DSLR, and a handy little wireless shutter release.




This was from the first batch of shots I took using the torchier lamp with an energy-saving, coiled florescent bulb as my fill. I felt it was too much, and I noticed that the head lamp serving as a rim light via the mirror also served as a fill light from the opposite side of the composition.
I liked that much better.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't get much -if any- of the wall in the composition. I did at first, and there were some much more interesting shadows traveling up it, however, when it came time to do the Rim light or back lighting, there wasn't enough room for the mirror, let alone a direct light source, so I moved the objects out from the wall to allow myself the space needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed with the effort you went into to do this photographically. My only criticism would be that your letter G doesn't look much like a G from the angle it's sitting at in your final composition.
    Correctness: 14 of 15 points
    Creativity: 5 of 5 points
    Total score: 19 points

    ReplyDelete
  3. You get 10 points for homework 11 since you posted this after that assignment's deadline.

    ReplyDelete